NAVIGATION BAR

Bloglovin'Facebook  Instagram  Twitter Pinterest  Tumblr  Receive posts by email  RSS Feed

3.18.2014

Building Raised Garden Beds

I just realized that I haven't updated in a month tomorrow!  Things have been rather busy around here, between school, work, and us both having colds.  Oh, and preparing our gardens for the growing season.  I've acquired two sunburns as of late.  Fortunately they've tanned up by now.
2 1x8x12ft cedar boards, and 2 1x8x8ft cedar boards a
nd outdoor screws = $100ish from Lowes.



A couple weeks ago, Scott and I got a couple more planter beds put in.  Because cedar wood is so expensive, we put in two new beds, and decided to try to get another year out of the old pine box.  We did most of this on Sunday.  By Sunday night when I was going to formulate this post.  I wanted to die.  I then spent a week in bed, and missed 4 1/2 days of work.  Thankfully it was Spring Break for all the young'ns so I didn't have to miss any class time.


To build the boxes, we just screwed outdoor wood screws into 7 inch pine 2x2s left over from the coffee table.  Cedar is very soft, so these screws went about 1/16th of an inch into the wood without having to countersink.

See the old box to the left of the new cedar one? Can not wait to replace that thing.
When we were done building the frames, Scott tilled two spots that were slightly larger than the frames.  Then we laid cardboard and cut up Trader Joes' bags as a liner.  These will break down into the soil over the season, but not before it kills off any chance of grass/weeds growing.  We did the same thing with the original garden bed, except that we didn't have a tiller last year.  So we just laid it over the grass and it died off on its own.  Yay for no weeding!

Then, Scott used the tractor to transfer some of the dirt he dug up from his sandbox fire pit pond (I use the term loosely), and mixed it with soil from the original garden bed, and some new manure and peat moss.

Hunter helped plant the cukes, of course
Last, we took some extra fence posts that we had bought at an auction, and cut two pieces of left over fencing just under 4 ft long.  He hammered those into the ground in the box for me, to act as trellising for the cucumbers.  They divide the box into thirds, and I can get 4 plants in each third.  The middle row will be trained so half runs up one trellis, and half up the other.
I transplanted the cucumbers that I had started, but a frost a couple days later, and about 2 full days of rain has almost completely killed them off.  Thankfully, they only take about a week to germinate, so I'll be starting more soon.

He also tilled his garden area, that he has directly in the ground, for his corn, lettuce, spinach, and our two raspberry and blueberry bushes.  And we planted two apple trees, that are leafing up quite nicely.

Somebody's going to be sad when this tractor has to go back to Tennessee!
It was hours after all this manual labor that I felt a slight tickle in my throat.  By the next morning I had a full-blown cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think!