NAVIGATION BAR

Bloglovin'Facebook  Instagram  Twitter Pinterest  Tumblr  Receive posts by email  RSS Feed

2.16.2014

A New Coffee Table

When Scott and I moved in together, down in Orlando, we took massive advantage of Ikea.  We got this coffee table when it was not $19.99.
It -kind of- held up on the move to the panhandle.  It completely fell apart on the move from our rental house, to our new (bought) home.  For the past few months, we used a combination of liquid nails, real nails, a couple screws, and some putty to keep it functioning.


We searched and searched for a coffee table that we liked, and was a price that we felt was "worth" it.  They were all $200+, or they were all pieces of crap.

Then I came across anawhite.com.  The site has oodles of different building plans for furniture.  Having grown up around lumber, and tools, and building things, I figured I could handle this.  Scott bought me a Kreg Jig and the wood for Christmas, and I was off.

We started by sanding down all of the edges on all of the boards (and all of the sides!) with 120 grit sandpaper.  What an amazing bonding experience that was!

Then, we attached the ends to the legs, then the sides.  I was in charge of jigging out the pocket holes, making sure things stayed flush, and measuring.  Scott was in charge of drilling the screws in, acting as a human clamp, and general lifting.

In an evening we got to this point:


I'm not going to lie, it sat like that for another week or two, and we used it VERY carefully.  We couldn't decide if we wanted to use vinegar/steel wool to create the stain, or buy some.  Ultimately, we're both impatient, and after a couple tests, decided to go for the dark walnut (that was used on this project) Minwax stain.

I used two coats of stain on the bottom/ frame portion, and one coat on the top.  I couldn't figure out if I liked the darker or lighter look better, so we put it together inside, and decided to keep it as is.  After 3 coats of polycrylic on the base, and 3-5 coats of dark wax and regular wax on the top, it was done.  After staining, we attached the top, using a countersink bit to predrill a divot for the screws to sit in.  You cannot see a single screw on the entire piece.

Notice the frayed edging on my couch?  I own a little gremlin
that thinks the piping around the cushions are a magical treat.



The plans for the coffee table originally called for "X" supports on either side.  They're just for decoration and didn't have anything to do with it structurally.  After a morning of trial and error, I gave up on the fancy X's.  Even after I finally got the angles right (hard to do with a 5 1/2 inch circular saw blade), the wouldn't sit properly.  I came out alive with all my fingers, so I still count it as a "win."

... I give up.  Scott might kill me when he sees all the "scraps"


Costs for this project:
Lumber: $50
Kreg Jig: $150 (you can get a single mini for $19.99- where this was a Christmas present I got the complete set)
Jig Screws: $8 (there's a bunch left over)
Circular Saw/Reciprocating Saw/ LED light/ another drill: $100 after coupons and a gift card.
Stain: $7.88
Total: $315.88*
*However, the cost of the table itself without all of the initial costs:  $57.88

I'm linking up with That DIY Showoff; Serenity Now; DIY Vintage Chic; Redoux Interiors; French Country Cottage; The Shabby Nest; 504Main; Rooted in Thyme; and Miss Mustard Seed!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Let me know what you think!